Friday 13 November 2009

Portfolio visit with Karen at Liquid Solutions


Yesterday I went to see Karen at Liquid Solutions in Liverpool, to gain some feedback on my portfolio. Karen is the first female graphic designer I have been to see with my portfolio so I didn't know what to expect, however she was lovely. She mainly gave me general advice about portfolios rather than a good grilling on mine.
Karen mentioned she likes to see ideas generation within a portfolio so that she can see that you've thought about the client and their needs. Also she said it's important to think about the balance of work as it will show people where your weaknesses or strengths are, or just your range of capabilities. She said that the presentation of your work is key and it would be nice to actually see the Hovis animation rather than just look at it flat in my portfolio.

She also suggested with some of my work which are layout exercises that I should take them further and make them more so they become more interesting.
Karen strongly recommended having placements so that you can see what you like and where you think you'll fit in, and she told me not to be worried as no-one expects the finished article from a student or even a junior, she said as long as you are willing to put in the effort and time and want to learn, you'll be fine. I took my magazine along with me so that when I'm showing it in my portfolio they can hold it and have some thing real in front of them and she really liked that. Overall she gave me some good advice and tips.

No comments: