Thursday 12 November 2009

Portfolio visit with Bourn Design


I have recently been to visit Mark and Matthew at Bourn design to gain some feedback on my porfolio. Both Mark and Matthew were really welcoming and I felt really at ease showing them my work. They both gave me some really good advice in general and some specific to my portfolio, I gained a lot from going to see them even if some things they didn't agree with each other on, but that was just difference of opinion.

Looking through my portfolio I was told that I should put each project on one page rather than splitting it across two, unless it is a massive project. I also got told to take my typeface further, create a campaign with it to show in it situ.
They also made a comment that when putting my posters in situ I should make the background black and white, so it does not take away from my work. My Hovis end sting they seemed to like the idea behind it but said I need to add one more slide at the end to say whats happening, ie 'Hovis, perfect toast since ????' Mark also prefered too look through my portfolio alone and then for me to go through it with him, whereas Matthew strongly disagreed and said that I should be taking control of the meeting and guiding him through my portfolio, and Matthew also said that I shouldn't have any writting on my portfolio at all, no captions as it can take attention away from the work.

Mark and Matthew also said that its important to think about type and layout and to get the right balance of work in your portfolio. they also suggested putting a website in my portfolio and learning about digital design and designing for screen.

I am going to make some changes suggested and hopefully at the end of the year I will be able to re visit them with a new and improved portfolio with some fresh projects in.

No comments: