Thursday 5 November 2009

Michael Wolff

Yesterday I took a trip down to Liverpool to go to the Michael Wolff D&AD President Lecture at Liverpool John Moores as part as the Liverpool design symposium. The talk was really interesting and laid back. Instead of it being a lecture, Wolff was sat down at the front with Patrick Burgoyne from CR interviewing him.

Wolff had a lot of interesting things to say, and I learnt a lot from him. He spoke slightly about his creative process and about creativity as a whole.

Wolff spoke of what he thinks to be key qualities to have as a designer,

1) Inquisitiveness,
2) Appreciation,
3) Capacity of the imagination.

His passion for design really showed through and just sitting there listening to him, I felt it rubbing off onto me. Wolff spoke also about branding and city branding and the experience of the brand determines the feeling you get from that brand, not how good the design is. I took a lot from this talk and I'm glad I could make it.

No comments: